The John Crosland School’s Lower School is comprised of kindergarten through fifth grade. We believe a balanced, traditional academic approach best serves the needs of our students. In addition, we take advantage of all the benefits offered through the latest technology, and by using multi-sensory instruction we are able to address the different learning styles of the students.
Our curriculum, based on the North Carolina State Standards, is designed so that each successive grade adds to the skills previously developed. To supplement and enhance academics, music and fine arts classes are taught weekly by specialty teachers. Physical Education is also a valued component of the Lower School program, and P.E. classes are scheduled three times weekly. Personal growth is a key component of Crosland’s Lower School. Character education and social skills instruction are integrated throughout the curriculum and are of particular focus in weekly counseling groups under the direction of a Certified Counselor with a Master’s Degree.
Parent involvement is highly evident in the Lower School and is both valued and encouraged. Field trips and events are enhanced by parents who frequently assist with these activities. We work hard and play hard in the Lower School.
Come visit us and see how much fun academic success can bring!
- School Hours 8 a.m. – 2:40 p.m.
- One Written Expression class and two Reading classes daily
- Homework Help Mondays and Thursdays 2:45 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
- Library activities
Foundational Kindergarten Program
The John Crosland School Foundational Kindergarten Program serves as a bridge from kindergarten to first grade. Preschool children exhibiting early signs of learning difficulties are often difficult to diagnose with a learning disability, because they have not had ample opportunity for educational instruction. The John Crosland School supports research in this area, and believes there is a need for early intervention. Our program’s function is to provide students with the time to develop the fundamental skills needed for success in school, as well as provide an age and developmentally appropriate curriculum and supportive learning environment.
- School Hours 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Language Arts, Math, Science, and Technology classes
- Student to Teacher ratio is capped at 5:1
- Whole group instruction and center-directed learning activities
- P.E., Art, and Music are integrated into the curriculum
- Regular field trips
- Library activities
Kindergarten Admissions Process:
- Complete an admissions application
- Submit 1 recommendation from a preschool teacher, therapist, or tutor
- Take an assessment test conducted by a testing professional chosen by The John Crosland School
- Participate in a 3-day classroom visit
- Applicant must be at least 5 years of age prior to the start of the school year for which they are applying