Since 1978, the mission of The John Crosland School has been to provide students with specific attention and learning differences the individualized college preparatory education to achieve their highest potential. This college preparatory school creates an environment that nurtures and protects what we value: curiosity, talents, character, humanity and dreams.
Our vision for Crosland is to strive to be innovators in the attention and learning disabilities fields. Crosland develops students to be creative and ethical self-advocates who add value to our community. In addition to a foundation of strong traditional academics, Crosland offers a unique program focusing on the needs of the whole child including the arts, music, technology, and athletics.
Our core values are:
- We believe in demonstrating best practices both internally as well as to others in the teaching field.
- We believe in a holistic approach to each child, considering the full range of their individual circumstances and abilities.
- We are committed to small class sizes as a way to offer individual attention to each child.
- We believe that teachers have a significant influence on the lives of our students; therefore, we exercise great care in the selection and development of faculty members.
- We believe that the learning difficulties of our students should be acknowledged openly so that both the student and his/her family can learn coping strategies.
- We believe that a close-knit school environment that welcomes the child and his/her family is important to each child’s success.
- We believe that students should be prepared for a variety of next steps: returning to a mainstream K-12 environment, college or other post-secondary education.
- We believe that Crosland can be a short-term or a long-term option with equal success.
- We believe in serving families at all economic levels.
- We believe that academics should be supplemented by a focus on building students’ confidence.